Wednesday, September 2, 2009

That JO kid

So the first step when you move somewhere is to unpack and get your room set up. After a few trips to Wal-Mart, and TJ Maxx, it was official; my new room was finally finished. I had orientation on the 12th, which was very long and boring, at the University of Utah. I finally got registered for three classes: Sports in American Society, History of Rock and Roll, and Math 1050. Needless to say, I have a pretty awesome schedule right now. The next day I made it to the oval, which is one of the most awesome facilities I have ever been in by the way, and got on my skates for the first time.
That first practice, I felt more JO than I have ever felt in my life. I forgot my laces for my boots at the house, and had about 10 people ask me why I wasn’t skating with laces. I told them I don’t like the way they feel. I forgot my blade guards at the house as well; I had to borrow someone else’s. Finally, I get on the ice and I thought that it was going to be so awesome (let me point out that I have not set foot on ice with speed skates in over 2 years). Needless to say, it was not awesome. My JOness continued. I try to start skating and get the feel of things, and I start to get up to slow, and my blades start making this awful screeching noise. It’s almost like a cross between nails on a chalkboard and a crying baby. But at the moment, I have no idea how to stop it, and everybody was at the oval for training. I’m talking national short and long track team, and other slow skaters who are all probably busting out laughing at me attempting to skate. Oh, and by the way, whenever I screeched, it would echo throughout the vaulted ceiling and I’m pretty sure that everyone in there could here me, even when I was on the other side of the oval. So I continue my god-awful screeching for the next hour, and by the end I could at least attempt to control it. This was the most embarrassing moment I have had on any set of skates since I started skating. I was “that JO kid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment