Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Move

On August 8th of this year, I left Greensboro, NC to move out to Salt Lake City, UT; exactly 2074 miles from my parent’s house to my new home. I have skated on inlines since 1999, and though there have been plenty of tough times, as of right now, my heart still lies with inlines. The one thing that ice does have that inlines doesn’t is an Olympic stature. That is my ultimate goal, though it may be a long shot. Since I was a kid, I have always wanted to skate in the Olympics.
Ever since the blog craze started, I have always wanted to start my own, but I never had anything interesting enough to write about. Now I do. This is going to be a chronicle of my trials and tribulations of my step from being an inline skater to an ice skater. Now don’t get me wrong; I will still be skating inlines up until 2013 (the year before the Olympics), but at the same time I will be trying to work my way up the ranks on ice as well.
So it all started on August 8th. My mom and I had a 30-hour drive ahead of us so we loaded up the car the night before and got on the road at 4 am. That day we drove for 16 hours and stopped about an hour past Kansas City, MO. After a long and tiring day of driving, a good night sleep was much needed. We woke up at 5:30 am and set out again. About two hours later, we drove through the inline speed skating capitol, Lincoln, NE. The only significance of this was that we successfully made it from Greensboro to Lincoln in 18 hours. My coach, Tony smith, said it couldn’t be done. But anyways, after Lincoln the speed limit bumped up to 75 mph. We had the cruise control set at 85 mph, and we were only doing 10 over! After driving through the desolate Midwest, with the only attractions being windmills, Cheyenne, and the northern part of the Rockies, for 14 hours, we made it to Salt Lake City. When we got there, my new roommates, Josh Wood and Brandon Andrews, had the stereo blazing, and I instantly knew that I liked my Apartment.

1 comment: