Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Stil that JO Kid

The next day I go to the oval, with laces in my skates, and blade guards! I get on the ice, and after the first 20 minutes of screeching every step I can now limit it to only every other step. My coach, Matt Kooreman (whom I’m sure was quite enjoying this comical event), was helping me out, and I was starting to some what get a feel for the ice. But needless to say I was still “that JO kid”.
I’m not going to drag this out, so I’m going to summarize the next week. I got to the point where I would only screech every few laps or so only if I came out of a corner wrong, or pushed some weird way. That week, I had my first practice with my team; it was not on ice though. It was dry land drills. Before this, I hadn’t trained since nationals, which was four weeks before that. That night, I felt like I had been hit by a freight train. The next morning was worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment